Thursday, October 07, 2004

City Boy visits the Farm

I just returned from visiting my cousin’s farm in Eastern Washington. After many invitations to visit, I finally had the chance to visit. Unfortunately it was a bittersweet occasion.

My mother’s sister and her husband had moved over to Cheney, which are a few miles outside of the city of Spokane many years ago. Spokane is 300 miles (482.80 km) east of Seattle, Washington. It takes 6 hours to drive to Spokane. In between there is the Cascade Mountain range, the Columbia River and miles of dessert to cross. It can be hazardous to drive over the mountain pass during winter.

Mother and my, first attempt was to fly over to Spokane during the Christmas season some 15 years ago. We were successful, but my Aunts daughter and her daughter had the Chicken pox, so her husband drove us from the airport to visit with my Aunt for Christmas. After many years, several back surgeries, Moms Hip replacement and death. I remembered that I had warned mother that she had to see her sister before one of them died. It was time to make a visit.

The flight over was uneventful (kicking myself for not booking a seat on the right side of the plane (Who knew Mt. Saint Helen would blow that day?). My cousin Kathy picked me up at the airport and whisk me of to see my Aunt Beatrice, then we went to the VFW hall for a Spaghetti dinner. Had to watch what I said there, Republicans all over the place. We staid up to 12:30 catching up on things. I was surprised that they live in a nice ranch style house. My pre conception was an old two-story farmhouse.

Saturday morning, David (my cousin’s husband) drove me around the farm. They have 4 square miles (6.44 square kilometers) of land (all rolling hills) which they grow Wheat on. He took me to a point high on a hill, that over looked the Palouse Plateau. I could see 100 miles (160.93 kilometers) to the south, almost into Oregon and Idaho. David, a ranch hand and Kathy run the farm. Have to admire them for their independence and self-reliance.

Later Kathy and I went to see my Aunt Bea again. I was showing her pictures of Mom and Dad, when my Uncle (100 years old) hinted that it was 4:00 o clock and they where suppose to have dinner and we had to leave. They have caregivers taking care of them in their home. Kathy and I left. She told me, that he was mad because he wasn't getting the attention. Also I found out that he was abusive to her (he adopted her when he married my Aunt) and his own two sons from his previous marriage. After dinner, I showed Kathy how to use the Word program on the computer. She is going to fix up her part of the family tree, that I had given her a copy of the data set and a back up copy.

Sunday morning, David and I went out to bring in a portable generator that they use to pump water to a watering trough for the cattle. They are leasing part of their land to another farmer for grazing. He showed me his Combine that he uses to harvest the Wheat. I sat in the driver’s seat as he explained the controls to me. After that we all went to Aunt Bea's for her Birthday party (she is 88 years old). My Uncle behaved himself. Then it was time to go to the airport, to come home. My aunt was in tears, because I had to go, and asked if I would come over for Christmas. I have to book the flight now.

1 comment:

Johnno said...

well written Gary