Sunday, February 27, 2005

My big Medical Scare

On Wednesday February 17th, I had just finished going to the bathroom at work. When I noticed that the toilet paper I had used to wipe my butt with was Blood Red. I quickly looked in to the Toilet bowl and saw that there was a whole lot of blood at the bottom of the bowl. "What the heck?" I though to myself, I had no pain. I when back to work and started wondering what to do and which doctor to call? The walk in clinic (I call them "Doc in the box" because you don't need an appointment) or my Gastroenterology? After the shock wore off and I had come to my scenes, I chose the most logical one, my Gastroenterology. That night I went online to see what would cause the bleeding. I found out that Hemorrhoid, Anal Fissure, and Colorectal Cancer could cause the problem.

Thursday I called my Gastroenterology, but had to leave a message for his nurse. She called me just as I was leaving work, and setup an appointment for the next day Friday the 19th. Wouldn’t you know it, the bleeding had stopped by then. I visited the doctor and setup a Colonscopy Exam, for Friday morning the 25th. All week long I was worried that the diagnosis could be Colorectal Cancer.

On Friday February 25th the day of the test, Kevin drove me down there, and waited to drive me home. Thank God, I was sedated for the test, I had a Sigmoid Colonscopy Exam some twenty years ago, (no sedation) that was very uncomfortable. The Doctor removed two small benign polyps from the large intestine, and sent them to the lab for testing.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed, that the tests will show that I’m free of Cancer.

3 comments:

Sue said...

Gary, I have everthing crossed here for you. It'll turn out to be ok.

Teddy said...

Gary thinking of you and wishing you the best. I to had colonoscopy two weeks ago and glad to say all was well. I know you will have the same results!

Leigh said...

Gary,
I've had the flexible sigmoid as well. When I told my sister how invasive it was and violated I felt afterwards, and she always being the comedian and seeing the funny side of things whispers in my ear, "Well, at least it was FLEXIBLE".

Not to make light of your current situation, I do indeed hope all turns out well for you and will say a few prayers for you too!